Cainans Item Shop
Welcome to the magic shop. Feel free to use this guide to determine what items Cainan can make for you and how much it’s going to set you back.
- Find the spell you want to turn into a potion (must be 3rd level or lower and remember the spell always targets you!)
- Determine what caster level you want the potion created at (max caster level 5)
- Multiply the caster level times the spell level times 25 to find the market value of the potion (caster level x spell level x 25)
- Take this number and divide it in half to find your gold piece cost (caster level x spell level x 25 / 2)
- Tell Cainan you want a potion of (insert potion name here) at caster level (insert caster level here) which costs you (derived value here) gold pieces
- Make sure to mention if you want more than 1 potion created of the same spell, multiplying the value you derived by the number of potions you want
Example: You decide you want a potion of Cure Serious Wounds just in case thing stake a turn for the worse in combat. Looking up the spell in the Players Guide, you determine that it is a 3rd level spell that requires a caster level of 5 (which is just within reach for Cainan). So, you take 3 (the spell level) x 5 (the caster level) x 25 to get market value, 375 gold pieces. Because Cainan likes you so much, he makes the magic item for half that cost! 375 / 2 is 187.5 gold pieces. That’s 187 gold, 5 silver, for a 3d8+5 hit point cure in combat. What a deal!
- Find the wondrous item you’re interested in in the DMG or MIC
- Check the magic item entry
- Make sure the magic item only requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat and not an additional feat
- Find the market value in gold pieces, divide that by 2
- Tell Cainan you want a (insert magic item here) which costs you (insert half market value here) gold pieces
Example: You decide you’re tired of carrying around a boring backpack and want to upgrade to a Handy Haversack. Checking the item in the Players Guide, you see that it only requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat so you’re in luck! You also see that the market value is 2,000 gold pieces but Cainan, the super swell guy that he is, is going to make it for you at half that cost. 2,000 / 2 is 1,000 gold pieces. So, you bring your 1,000 gold pieces to Cainan with a request to make you a Handy Haversack and wait 2 days for him to finish it. What a great deal!
- Determine the total equivalent bonus of the weapon (a +5 weapon is +5 while a +3 Shocking weapon is +4 since shocking is effectively a +1 bonus)
- Take that bonus, square it, then multiply it by 2,000 (5 squared is 25 times 2,000 is 50,000)
- Add that number to the cost of additional properties + the cost of the weapon + 300 for the masterwork quality (unless the weapon is made from a special material)
- Take this number and divide it by 2, then give Cainan that amount to make you weapon!
Savings: You save 50% on your magic weapons, what a savings!
Magic Armor and Shields
- Determine the total equivilant bonus of the weapon (a +5 suit of armor is +5 while +2 Animated shield is +4)
- Take that bonus, square it, then multiply it by 1,000 (5 squared is 25 times 1,000 is 25,000)
- Add that number to the cost of additional properties + the cost of the armor or shield + 150 for the masterwork quality (unless the armor or shield is made from a special material)
- Take this number and divde it by 2, then give Cainan that amount to make your armor!
Savings: Hooking you up with a 50% discount, you’ll realize it’s worth every copper when those pesky full attack options from Dragons ping off your brand new shiny suit of armor! Aren’t you so lucky!